27 November 2011

hats off.

As I'm the only one working for Scarlet & Madrone, I find I wear a lot of different hats in this operation.  Please excuse the overused cliche; I'm sure all my professors from the Creative Writing program at SFSU are groaning at the sight of it, but it's the best I can come up with right now.  And as I continue to work on my business I'm finding there are a lot of things I don't like doing.  Like writing copy, for instance.  Or pricing items.  Or making spreadsheets.  And there's some things that I just can't do alone - a lifestyle shoot, for instance.  And trust me, I've tried.  I've tried holding the camera out at arm's length, I've tried using the mirrors in the bathroom to see what the frame looks like, and I've even tried setting up the tripod, attempting to set up lighting, putting the timer on the camera, and running to the spot that I think will put me in the right position for the frame.  Oh, and did I mention that I also become very awkward when placed in front of a camera?  Yeah, I'm sure you can imagine how well that worked out.  Thankfully I have some very talented friends who also have their own set of very talented friends.








With the help of my friend James and his buddy Ray, I was able to pull together the first lifestyle shoot for Scarlet & Madrone.  It started out a bit rocky - shooting outdoors wasn't an option as it was overcast and raining.  James was nervous his work wouldn't be good enough and I felt awkward being in front of the camera.  And trying to art direct while modeling is, well, pretty much impossible.  "Just don't get my face in the shot," was the extent of my "art directing" as I sat stiff and awkward, waiting for the shutter to click.








Ray arrived shortly thereafter with a crap load of equipment and brought some sunshine with him.  We moved outdoors and having another set of eyes was beneficial.  "Check this one out," James would say, showing the image to Ray.  "Ooh, that's some dramatic lighting," he'd respond.  "How's my hair?" I'd yell at Ray before James clicked the shutter.  "Why don't you try this?  Or how 'bout this?" he'd yell back at me.  Then there was the "smile, don't smile, smile, don't smile" directing that was an epic fail on my part.  Try it.  I dare you.  Then tell me you managed to get through it without laughing.  Oh really?  Yeah right.  Liar. 








The shoot lasted roughly four hours and we got a lot of great shots out of it.  I've also learned that I really don't like modeling.  It's enough to feel uncomfortable in front of the camera but add in standing around in 40-50 degree weather in a tank top?  No thank you.  So I'm taking off another hat and recruiting a friend to model for the next shoot while I focus on art direction.  Now, if only I can find a copywriter...

1 comment: